Monday, March 26, 2012

plastic ponderings

I, like most Americans, throw away far too much stuff.  My husband and I recycle everything we can, but the process of recycling uses energy and natural resources, so I'm trying to focus more on the "reduce" and "reuse" categories.  Yes, I have reusable grocery bags.  Do I always remember to take them to the store?  No.  Often, I tell the cashier I do not need a bag, but sometimes that is simply impractical.  Also, I don't think Wesley has quite grasped the "say no to plastic bags" concept.  So, large quantities of thin plastic now float and crinkle about our home.  What to do?  Crochet.  That's what.  I am still in the experimenting phase of this project, but it is going rather well.  By cutting grocery sacks into strips and tying the ends together to form a long strand, I create a kind of yarn.  Who knows what functional or whimsical craftiness will come of all this.  Stay tuned to find out! 

P.S.  I'm working on many more recycled craft ideas.  Let me know what you throw away most often.  Let's find a way to give all trash new purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment