Thursday, June 12, 2014

Cast your nets

I am re-reading St. Therese's autobiography, A Story of a Soul.  I highly recommend this book to all.  St. Therese has a wonderful way of reminding us that we are all called to be saints.  We need not perform great deeds or be big and important in the world.  Even the littlest ones of us can bring immense joy to Jesus' heart.

At one point, she references a Gospel passage I had heard hundreds of times.  The apostles had been fishing all night and caught nothing.  Jesus, standing on the shore, calls out to them to cast their nets one more time.  The apostles assure Him they have tried that already, and they are tired.  Jesus persists, so they give it a shot.  This time, to their great surprise, their net is bursting with fish.

google images


Therese discusses how this applies to each of our lives.  When we have spent all we have to give, we need only say yes to God's grace for miracles to happen.

Perhaps I have been forgetting this lately.  I keep asking, "Again, God?  Really?  Didn't you see what happened last time?  Not sure I want to go through all that one more time."  Yet, here is evidence that if these promptings to act truly come from God, I will certainly miss out if I refuse.  I must consider what God desires.  According to this and other stories, it is not to heap burdens upon us for no reason.  God, ever the gentleman, forces nothing on us.  He patiently waits for us to say yes to His invitation.  Then He floods our hearts with blessings we cannot even imagine.

I say all this like I actually practice it.  I know all this in an intellectual sense, but do I truly, faithfully believe it?  I want to believe it.  I want to abandon myself completely to God's beautiful grace.  For some reason, I continue to hold back that last little part of myself, just to be safe.  I pray that I may no longer desire this false sense of security, but the immeasurable grace that my Lord waits so patiently to shower all over me.

“Aslan is a lion- the Lion, the great Lion." "Ooh" said Susan. "I'd thought he was a man. Is he-quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion"..."Safe?" said Mr Beaver ..."Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.”

-C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe








No comments:

Post a Comment